Where We Began
The Windsor Locks Wellness Coalition (formerly SAPAC) is a community coalition established in 2005. In 2012 the name was changed to the WINDSOR LOCKS WELLNESS COALITION. This Coalition is comprised of representatives from 12 sectors of the Windsor Locks community with its initiative aimed at developing healthy and successful youth.
In 2010, SAPAC and the Town of Windsor Locks partnered with New Directions, Inc. under a grant from the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services to assess the community strengths as well as the extent of substance use. The goal: reduce underage drinking and substance use. The grant requires a public health approach using proven environmental strategies that target a change in behavior and attitudes in a larger community rather than in individual basis.
Every sector of our community can help to create positive change in Windsor Locks.
Ways to Get Involved
- Promote the “You Are the Key” campaign Right now we NEED volunteers for help publicize upcoming Parent Event .
- Focus on the positives of youth
- Let us know about healthy, family friendly related events going on in the WL community. We are happy to help.
- Invite WLWC to speak to your group, club or neighbors.
- Set a good example in your daily life and relationships.
- Discourage under age drinking.
Spread the Word
- We want everyone in Windsor Locks to be able to have an open and positive conversation about underage substance use and other sensitive topics.
- We stress the importance of thinking positively in regards to addressing problematic behaviors. For example: Instead of saying, 33% of our teens choose to drink, change it to, 67% of our teens choose NOT to drink.
- Change the way we talk about the problem of underage drinking and other drug use. Using positive language reinforces positive behavior.